So, you want to become a yoga DJ, but you don’t do yoga or you’re not quite sure how to get started. That’s okay, you don’t have to be a yogi to dj a yoga class, just like you don’t have to be flexible to do yoga. I didn’t know anything about yoga before I played my first class. I wanted to get out of the night club scene and dj for a high vibe audience. In 2014 I set an intention to become a yoga DJ, even though I had no clue how to get started. Lucky for me, I had years of experience as a rave promoter. I knew that these skills would greatly come in handy on this new adventure.
The first thing I set out to do was find a yoga teacher who was willing to partner with me. We came up with a name and scheduled our first class. We had seven people show up and the rest is history.
In three years, Spiritual Gangsta Yoga (SGY) has popped up at indoor and outdoor venues all over Tucson, AZ. We brought our vibe to a transformational festival in Flagstaff, AZ and a reggae festival in San Diego, CA. Some of our classes have as many as 100 yogis getting down dog on the mat. It’s a powerful feeling to see so many people come together to do yoga with the DJ as the anchor for the practice.
How to get started as yoga DJ
- Learn how to dj a yoga class, properly. This is very important. You want to be in sync with the teacher, and the music should match the flow of the practice. Click on the link to read more.
- Make friends with yoga teachers. Take a yoga class or two or three. Did you like the practice? Do you vibe with the teacher? Yoga teachers, like DJs, are everywhere. Seek out new teachers who have at least 200 hours of yoga teacher training.
- Offer to play for donations at a local yoga studio.
- Start a yoga MeetUp group and offer free or donation based pop-up classes around your community.
- Have your own p.a. system. I also recommend investing in a wireless microphone headset for the teacher, especially for outdoor classes.
- Set up a SoundCloud account and publish your yoga mixes. Be sure to share your mixes with yoga teachers and studio owners.
These are some ways to get started as a yoga DJ. Feel free to share some of your own ideas in the comments. Good luck!